Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Alarmed!

A detour from the posting pattern I've established, but it must be done:

Tonight Simon had basketball practice at the school where I teach Gifted Ed. on Fridays. I had a previous engagement [a radio broadcast about homelessness that I'll write about sometime, when things are slow :) ] and drove to the school before going home. Jake called, asking if he could walk up and meet us, then the three of us could ride home together. My first thought, "No, I know you haven't finished your homework." My second thought, "No, it's so dark tonight; I don't want you walking the winding street up to the school." My third thought, "No, you were a HUGE stinker earlier tonight."

So, I said, "Yes."

Why, when something was telling me to say "no"???

On with the story... Nearing the end of practice Jake sits on a desk near the exit that is cleverly positioned under the fire alarm. He propels himself off of the desk, managing to hit his shoulder on the plastic casing. In trying to fit the lid back on tightly, he sets the alarm off and as people turn to look, there he is with his hand up in the alarm looking like he is intentionally screwing with it. Then the alarm completely comes apart and begins shrieking at a faster and faster pace.

No, that's not quite right. ...begins SHRIEKING faster and faster like an ANXIETY ATTACK...

Much better.

Keep in mind that we are in a gymnasium that is huge and echo-y. All eyes on us, parents quickly start scrambling to retrieve their children. This part seems slow motion... ...kids are screaming and dropping to their knees (dramatic, but they ARE third graders), parents are trying to grab their belongings while covering their ears and motioning at their writhing children with their elbows, all are running out of the gym shooting looks like, "Why would those people pull the alarm? What's wrong with them?" The last guy out yells at us to call 911 and let them know it is not an emergency so that we will be in LESS trouble when security and the firetrucks show up.

Is this really happening? Why didn't I listen to the "no"!!!!!

I call 911. 911 calls the district's head of security. The security guy rolls in about ten minutes later. Fire crew shows up. We all trudge to the scene, wincing at the rapid-fire screams emitted from the gymnasium. The fire crew shuts down the sound system and within minutes we are told that we can go home.

On the way to the car Jake says, "Wow. Sorry about the whole alarm thing Mom. Hey, maybe I'd want to be a fire man. Their job seems cool."

Really? Really???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny! You are so luck he's not like his mom was at that age!!!
Love, B.

Rebecca said...

I know that's not really funny, but I'm cracking up anyhow!