Monday, December 29, 2008

Things are coming together!

Childcare has been an unanswered problem for us. My parents offered to watch Sylvie, but will be in Texas until March'ish. I go back to work the first week of February. The original plan was for Clark to take five weeks of paternity leave and patch together the rest of March. Then he got a new job (which we love) and lost his paternity leave (which we do not love). We ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to have S.A. in a daycare-setting. Too soon and too much like an orphanage. Have I mentioned that Sylvie has been in 6 different living environments in her little life (more than one orphanage)?

We have spend a lot of time brainstorming what to do... a nanny (so expensive), patch something together with friends until the end of March (too inconsistent), a small-scale private learning center (no openings), Montessori (she is four months too young), quit my job (out of the question financially). I lose sleep about our childcare problem.

A co-worker put a bug in my ear a couple of weeks ago about a woman across the street from our school who does after-school care for older kiddos. I had no idea if she would be interested in a little one. We visited right before leaving for Ethiopia and she said she would have to check into licensure. This woman is so nice. She is someone that I know Sylvie would be comfortable with. My fingers have been crossed...

Well, I called her back today and she will take S.A.!!!! We go next week to talk nuts-&-bolts and for Sylvie to meet her. This is the IDEAL situation. I can bring her there right before 8:00 am and come back for my lunch-break to feed her lunch and put her down for a nap. I am off by 4:00 and S.A. will be in my arms within minutes of walking out the front door of school. Attachment should be less of a worry with this schedule, as I am still there during the day. And, we will not have to pay for summer-care to hold our spot.

Thank you, thank you, thank you--it could not be a better arrangement than this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank goodness! That is the ideal situation. What a weight lifted off of your shoulders.
Sarah

P.S. Brandon and I want to sit down with you and Clark sometime to get some advice. I think you know what we're thinking.

Rebecca said...

Great news!! That is so awesome!